May 25

MY Public Speaking – Grade 4

Hi take a look at my public speaking

Hook

Give me your tired, give me your poor, Your huddled masses yearning to breathe free, The wretched refuse of your teeming shore. Send these, the homeless, tempest-tossed to me, I lift my lamp beside the golden door!” These are  famous words by Emma Lazarus, talking about how she wants to help the less fortunate”

Intro

Hello Ms.M, class, and guests. As you know I am very protective of my fellow classmates which  means I am also protective of everyone including animals. Did you know life isn’t as good for everyone as you think? Sure we have money and that is all we think about, but what about the ones who don’t. People who are less fortunate and some need more shelters. It should be easier for people to get jobs, and the cost of living should be lower (so everyone can afford things such as groceries, rent and ect. Together we can help make it so there are less homeless people. Today we will be taking the importance of the poor. Learning about the topics such as the amount of shelters, work conditions, inflation.

Point One: More shelters

There should be more shelters for multiple reasons. More than 270,000 people can qualify for a homeless shelter but guess what there are not that many that will accommodate them. There are many organizations that support homeless shelters in the US and Canada. In fact, Ottawa has 8 shelters that provide services, but still that is not enough. People who don’t have homeless shelters are left on the streets begging for money.  Wishing their life was different. They get ignored multiple times by people. Have you ever given money to a homeless person? Or are you going to? You should because even 2 dollars is a lot to someone who needs it. You can save a life. For an example my mother asked a homeless man what size his foot was and she went out of her way to get that man a pair of boots. 

Topic 2: Getting to work

We now know lots about homeless shelters, but what about less work conditions?

Ever wonder why those homeless people can’t go and get a job? Well if you don’t, I do. After taking time to think about this topic and do research I came up with this.

Maybe they have a disability, like they can’t speak, they are deaf or blind. Maybe because of this they can’t get a job because things aren’t so accessible. Creating buildings that are more accessible, so the homeless people with disabilities can have easier access to the building or anything else.

What about work conditions?  People think people should be able to dress properly. On a study people expect others to dress accordingly to the job . There are many jobs that you are able to get but the poor can’t get them.

Topic 3: No more inflation

Have you heard your parents talking about how they hate the cost of living? Well I have, and I don’t like hearing it. Okay, it will be hard for all of us to hear but: There are many many people who can’t buy themselves an apple, not an apple because of the cost of living. It has increased very much so from 5.1 in January 2022 to 8.1 in June 2022.What does that mean that 5.1 goes up to 8.1? It means the cost has gone up 3 dollars then 5 dollars then 8 in the time. Wow that is a lot. With the cost of living growing, the poor can’t get a load of things like medication from the drugstore, clothes, what would happen if you had none? Food as well. No food, No huge holes in clothes. Guests or ms.M,  wouldn’t you like it if the cost of living was cheaper? As one  grade 4 student I can’t do much, but all of us can make a small difference! So think what can we do? Maybe give food to a food bank or clothes. Let’s be the change now!

Conclusion

Overall if you see a homeless person, you should give them a looney, give them a tooney! Even the smallest amount can help. Running a shop? you can make things cheaper! Need help at work? Try accepting the way people look, and make the business building more accessible . Thinking of buying a building? Make it a shelter!  You can take action! By doing something small you can make this world a happier, safer place, and better place. I hope this taught you something! Because nothing is too small. Thank you, and remember if you have any spare change, give a looney or a tooney anything can help!

——————–

Posted May 25, 2023 by starielle in category Uncategorized